High School Seniors and the Year that Wasn’t.

Tiffany Leuck, Writer

Seniors of Emerson Junior-Senior High School are strongly affected by the pandemic which sparked in March of 2020 by the number of people that were dying each day. 

While last year’s seniors had their spring season cancelled, this year’s seniors have missed out on virtually their entire year, including their friends, senior events, sports, classes. Sports have not been the same but they were lucky enough to have some sort of seasons. 

It’s the little things that seniors have the privilege of like being able to leave for lunch and study hall with your friends, even fighting to find a spot in the parking lot. The 9/11 Memorial field trip that seniors have been looking forward to since freshman year and the thought of not having a prom or graduation are just some of the disappointments the seniors have faced. 

Staying positive throughout this time has been a challenge for many people. However, the warm weather will start to bring out more people to see each other outdoors which will result in better attitudes and happy people. Seniors have seemed to take full advantage of that to go out with their friends and catch up on what they have been missing for a year. 

“I hang out with my friends and just talk about things so that has helped me stay positive, and since it’s getting nicer out I’m hoping the school will let us do more senior activities outside” said Emerson senior Briella Kellish, shares how she stays positive during these times. 

Some students have been struggling with the pressure of school since Covid. The online learning process can be very difficult for students and is taking a toll on their grades. Seniors have been known to get “senioritis” as they don’t worry about their grades as much as getting into colleges. This also connects with the fact that students used school as their escape to get their minds off things.

“I think I have stayed the same. School has put more stress on me now because of our circumstances but I think I have been able to stay the same.” Kellish states being asked how Covid has affected her personally. 

Seniors are continuing to accept the fact that their year is not what they have dreamed of. Fortunately,  Emerson Junior-Senior High School is moving forward with prom and graduation at the end of the year.  are wishing and praying that everything changes and that we can get the ending with the people we grew up with that we always wanted.