Should There Still Be Snow Days?

Shaye Diverio, Writer

What parts of snow days do you look forward to most? Snowball fights, shoveling, ice skating, or a day of rest to reset and to cuddle up with a book and hot chocolate? With all of the recent innovations with online teaching and learning the idea of snow days could come to an end soon. 

Kids may have lost a lot of important time with their teachers, peers, and education school wise but, not giving them a day off to have a normal snow day will not help.  The New York Times says, “I felt like no matter what kind of learning we’re doing this year,” the author said, “this isn’t something that needs to be taken away from kids who have already lost a lot, ranging from not being able to see friends to losing parents to Covid.”

All students have lost some of the most valuable times of their lives and although it is important they keep getting their education to the best of their ability, students do need a break from staring into their computer screen for hours on end to rest and have fun outside, which is something that they have not been able to do much of this year. 

When I was in class I noticed that a lot of teachers told me to “have a nice snow day,” or “to do something fun with my family,” but, how am I supposed to do these things when I am sitting in class until 3 pm? 

Briella Kellish from Emerson Jr.Sr High School says, “I think we should have snow days because it benefits our mental health and gives us a break.”

A substantial amount of students agree with the teacher who said,“now more than ever it is important to provide normalcy for the students because they have not been able to have a normal school year at all.” A snow day would be a nice surprise for the kids to wake up to and a happiness or excitement that everyone deserves after the struggles of this year. 

A junior at Emerson High School says, “It gives us a break from staring at a screen all day and being able to go outside and it is one less day we are going in so it decreases the chance of an outbreak.” 

Another student says, “Snow days allow students to catch up on work, sleep in, and to take a day to themselves.” 

This shows how students have several reasons for why we should be able to take a snow day despite the fact we could online learn. It is important for students to get a break from constantly staring at a computer screen and a snow day provides the perfect opportunity to do this. 

On the other hand, some would argue that with such a complicated year the kids have had too many days off and cannot risk taking another day off. But how much more change can we have the children of our world go through without them losing their childhood? A snow day and a chance to play outside is one of the only things that has not been completely turned around by a worldwide pandemic this year and if we have the chance, we should give them time for normalcy. 

It is important to give students and teachers what they deserve during these terrible times and a lot of people would agree with that because all they have taken on in the past year.