Rockefeller Center and Its New Rules Due to Covid

Briella Kellish, Writer

Due to the new regulations that the pandemic has brought on, it is getting harder and harder for people to go into the city and see the tree. There were many rules that everyone needed to follow. Once viewers have reached the tree, they need to scan a QR code to see the wait time for the tree, then viewers would need to wait until they got a message that says they are able to go and see the tree. Viewers only had a five minute tree viewing time so they would have to get their pictures within that time period. 

The tree is said to be lit at six in the morning all the way until midnight. The tree was taken down on January 1, along with other decorations. The famous rink at Rockefeller Center closes on January 21, and participants can buy tickets from nine in the morning up until midnight. There are only a certain number of skaters allowed in the rink to keep with social distancing. 

Compared to last year, the tree viewing is so different . Viewers used to be able to go whenever they wanted and see the tree for however long they wished. Viewers were also allowed to skate as long as they had a ticket and were within their time slot. Now it is even harder to get tickets to go ice skating at Rockefeller Center because of social distancing. 

Some students at Emerson Junior Senior High School went to see the tree. An anonymous student states, 

“There were only a few people there because of Covid. We were not allowed to take pictures, we were just allowed to walk through and look. It was not the best experience this year because of covid.”

Not being able to take pictures of the tree and not being able to stop and just admire the tree was something many people were upset about this year. Many people also did not go because of the fear of getting Covid, and because of the lines and not being able to truly experience the tree. Being able to walk around the city and see the light show on the buildings is part of the experience, as well as walking around in the stores, and seeing the city. Some people only go to the city once a year to see the tree and take pictures and be with their families and have an amazing experience. 

The new Covid guidelines definitely took a toll on the experience of seeing the tree and being able to go ice skating in the famous rink, but many families were still able to enjoy themselves while staying safe.