Breaking News
  • June 10Eighth grade promotion June 18 at 7:00p.m.
  • June 10Last day of school June 20
  • June 10Graduation June 20 at 7:00 p.m.
  • January 28Read The Cavo Chronicles on your Phone! Download the "Student News App"
The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

Emerson Aligns with the Sun and the Moon

On April 8th, Emerson students gathered outside on the field to witness a rare phenomenon. For the first time since 2017, a total solar eclipse would be visible in the United States and free for everyone to witness. 

Whereas some schools would have let students miss this momentous occasion, Emerson decided to do the opposite. They provided all students with protective glasses and made the eclipse a learning moment. Students were to take a break from the classroom to be led outside by their teachers during the last period of the day, period 6. 

The eclipse was set to occur in Emerson from approximately 2:10 pm to 4:30 pm with a peak at 3:25 pm. Emerson was set to be able to see the solar eclipse in 90% totality, meaning that 90% of the sun would be covered by the moon.

Emerson’s science department was at the head of making this “school-wide eclipse party” (quoted from Emerson Junior-Senior High School’s Instagram account) a success as they advocated for the school to provide students and faculty members with protective glasses. 

After 2 pm, hundreds of Emerson students could be seen covering the front and back fields of the school. As students waited, they were encouraged to fill out a worksheet that would detail their eclipse experience. And despite the eclipse’s peak occurring after school hours, students were still able to have a fun experience as the moon slowly inched to cover more and more of the sun. 

Even as school was dismissed, some students and faculty members stayed on the field to view the eclipse at the peak time. Many sporting events happening that day were also postponed until after the eclipse. Viewing a solar eclipse as a student is certainly a once-in-a-lifetime event. The next solar eclipse that can be viewed in the United States is not until 2044. Emerson’s “eclipse party” was definitely an unforgettable memory for students.