Breaking News
  • June 10Eighth grade promotion June 18 at 7:00p.m.
  • June 10Last day of school June 20
  • June 10Graduation June 20 at 7:00 p.m.
  • January 28Read The Cavo Chronicles on your Phone! Download the "Student News App"
The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

65th Bergen County Baseball Tournament- 2024

Derek Mackenzie of Emerson pitching in the county game against Hackensack
Photo Credits: Chris Pedota, NorthJersey.com-USA Today Network

With Emerson Baseball’s 14-3 record, they are selected as the 8th seed in the Bergen County Tournament and will play on Wednesday, May 8, against 9 seed Hackensack as both teams look to advance to the next round of the tournament. Emerson Baseball has been on a roll and a winning streak. The Cavos have won 10 straight games 

The Cavos demolished Hackensack earlier this season in a 13-5 victory. While beating Hackensack earlier in the season, Hackensack looks for revenge. Jeremy Lachman was the Cavos star last time they versed Hackensack putting up 3 hits, 4 runs batted in, and the Golden Gamer Award. The golden gamer is only given when the Cavos win and it goes to the player who impacted the game the most. 

Coach Sommerhalter is excited about the first round of the county tournament and is keeping his players in shape and locked in. 

“Being a coach for Emerson baseball is a true passion of mine playing here as a high schooler. I want to keep the winning culture alive. We are practicing hard every day keeping the pitcher’s arms ready and the bats hot,” Sommerhalter said. 

Sommerhalter has been coaching for multiple years and has even won a state championship in the 2018-2019 season, the first and only state championship in Emerson sports history. 

The recent winning streak has boosted the Cavos confidence and they seek to make a deep run in the county tournament. They will also try to become league champs if they defeat Midland Park. This is a big week for the Cavos and they hope that this will be the year they take the title home. Pitcher and outfielder Matt Sabatella will try to get the week started off right against Midland Park and hopes to help claim the league title for the Cavos. 

“We need to keep working hard and push through close games. Our wins only make us hungrier to put our team on the map,” said junior Sabatella before the big game.