Breaking News
  • June 10Eighth grade promotion June 18 at 7:00p.m.
  • June 10Last day of school June 20
  • June 10Graduation June 20 at 7:00 p.m.
  • January 28Read The Cavo Chronicles on your Phone! Download the "Student News App"
The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

The student news site of EHS

The Cavo Chronicles

Something to Prove

The Emerson Softball team kicked their season off with a 15-4 win against the Wood-Ridge Blue Devils at Wood-Ridge Athletic Complex on April 1st as the Cavos improved their record to 1-0. On April 6th, the Cavos played Saddle Brook at Ramapo High School in the HOFs Benefit Tournament and came out with an 11-10 victory. On April 10th, they played Midland Park and Mercy ruled them 16-1. With all these wins, their most recent one was a huge league win against Park Ridge winning 6-4. These wins are especially significant since the team lost last year’s star pitcher Natalie Graham who now competes at Division 2 softball at East Stroudsburg this spring. The team also lost pitcher Sarah Mokrzecki after she transferred to St Mary High School. With these game-changers absent from their roster, the team is eyeing a big season and they feel they have something to prove. 

While the Cavos are on a hot streak, they are fueled by the big wins they achieve. Many people questioned whether they would be better or worse than last year’s team and they looked to prove the doubters wrong. 

“I need to make sure I bring the energy our team needs and to not play down of the standards I know I can play at. Hard work is key during games and practices because the starting position is not guaranteed and you have to earn your spot,” said starting center fielder, Joanna Joanna Vigna.

As an underclassman, starting center fielder, Joanna Vigna sees early varsity playing time as an opportunity to contribute to the team’s legacy and show she is trustworthy. 

“Our team is really close with each other and everyone is really kind and supportive towards each other. We do a lot of team bonding off the field like when we go ice skating or when we go get food after games and practices,”said Vigna.

With the devastating loss of their star seniors and pitchers from last season, the Cavos softball team keeps their composure and doesn’t listen to the doubters. 

”This year is a building year and we plan to build these new players up and make sure they can compete with other teams that have more experience,” said star sophomore pitcher and first baseman Sophia Centeno. 

Centeno sees great things in such a young group of players. With many more talented girls in the softball program for middle school, Centeno thinks the team will come together and get back to being one of the top teams in the state. 

The Emerson Cavos softball team is surprisingly making a statement in early stages of the season. With a 4-0 record, the team is looking to get some more league wins and is looking like a seasoned team.