Proposal For Graduation Gown Change at EHS

Ava Sudano, Writer

Recently this last month, during a Student Council meeting, a proposal was made to change the graduation gown traditions at EHS. Rather than having separate, gender-based gown colors where the girls wear white and the boys wear red, the gowns would be unisex. Meaning, all students in the graduating class would wear one color.  

Although separate-colored gowns are quite common in many schools, some surrounding schools are beginning to eliminate them. As expected, it has sparked quite a debate among our graduating class. 

While some students argue that one, universal-colored gown will hide our individualism, others encourage them to look beyond that. 

By wearing one color, we may actually become more inclusive and united as a class. The idea is that we have overcome many challenges and changes throughout our schooling together, so wearing one color would help us to stand together.

Here’s a look into some senior students’ opinions: 

Victoria Spinelli exclaims, “Personally, I do not think it is a big deal to make the change because it has been a tradition to wear two separate colors throughout the history of EHS. I would prefer to wear white”.

Daniella Machinski expresses the opposite in saying, “It should not change at all. Having both red and white gowns has been a tradition in our school for a long time, so keeping it the way it has always been is the best option.”

Despite the fact that there are many conflicting opinions on this proposal, I am interested to see whether or not gender-neutral gowns will be implemented into the Class of 2023’s Graduation.