One School, One Book, One Conversation Starter

Colin Pattermann, Writer

Recently at Emerson Junior Senior High School, a school-wide program has begun called “One School One Book”. The administrators, teachers, students and faculty members are all reading the same book: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.

The book is about a student and teacher who have a special relationship like no other. They used to be very close friends, however they drifted apart once Mitch had become obsessed with money. Later in life, Morrie is diagnosed with ALS and is slowly dying. They begin their last “class” together: The Meaning of Life.

This book shows the journey of an old student and a dying professor as they spend his remaining time talking about life and all its complexities. Although the book is very mature, it allows the young readers of Emerson Junior Senior High School to have a look at what real life is.

Eighth grader Nolan Pattermann said, “ At first I did not expect that I would be interested, however after really reading the book I realized that it was much more interesting than most people would think.”

The book allows people who might not have much to talk about something to discuss. At the Pattermann Family’s household, it is always a topic of discussion as my mom loved the book as well. Having an easy conversation starter with my brothers allows us to talk more than ever in all of our busy lives. 

This time also gives students a break from all their school work, and allows them to have time of peace and quiet where they can relax and enjoy an amazing book. Taking into the fact that there is no work associated with the book gives students the opportunity to see how nice it can be sometimes to simply sit down and read.

Many people of the new generation have forgotten the art of literature and the beauty that words can hold. This is an amazing book of choice, considering it talks about subjects everyone will endure in life including losing a loved one, work, family and – most of all – love.

I, along with many other students, am going to be very happy to hear the next announcement of when we will be reading Tuesdays with Morrie