EHS’s Poetry Slam

Jake Falotico bares his soul with a poem.

Emerson Junior Senior High offers many student-involved activities and programs. Some help us celebrate our athletic talents, while others cater to our mental prowess or artistic gifts.  Then there are those activities that let us share something a little more creative and inspiring.  One of these activities is the Poetry Slam. This was held by Mr.Deo and Ms. Wisner on Friday December 16,2022. Food and drinks were provided buffet style, while students and staff were able to enjoy poems. 

There was a much larger turnout for the event than previously anticipated. It was great to see so many chairs occupied, and so many students clutching their poems in their hands as they summoned up the courage to step up to the mike.  Maybe the lure of the food helped, but maybe it was because some teachers had offered reading a poem as extra credit, which made the students get more excited and involved.

Although teachers and staff went first, everyone got a turn.  Mr. Ullman, Ms. Wisner, Mr. Ponchak, and Mr. Deo were among some of the first presenters, but students like Jake Falotico, Louden Mazzeo, Sarah Mokrzecki, and Diana Tamayo also joined in on the fun, and often credited Ms. Pasqual or Mr. Hedges (or their offer for extra credit) as their source of inspiration.

Even though it was a good turnout, and the attendees enjoyed the food and each other’s company and selections, there is always room for improvement.

When Ms. Pasqual was asked what could be improved, she said, “ We can advertise more, and get more of the school community involved.” With a generally small student population to begin with, it can be hard to get lots of students involved in activities like these. However, teachers adjusted to this by offering extra credit which made students much more likely to attend. Oh yes, and there was food.  Good food.

Some people had written their own poems, while others read famous poems or poems they enjoyed. I asked Ms. Pasqual what her favorite poem was to which she replied ““ My favorite poem was read by Mrs. Martinucci.” Mrs. Martinucci had written her own poem titled “Recess(ed)”.  In it she acknowledges the writing styles of Dorothy Parker, Edgar Allan Poe, and e.e. cummings (among others), but then admits she enjoys using her own words.

In the end it was a success, and everyone enjoyed the poetry, pizza, and sense of community, and got the extra credit they needed.

Do you enjoy using your words or reading and sharing others’?  Consider being a part of the next poetry slam!