Local Officer Returns to His Alma Mater

Local Officer Returns to His Alma Mater

Jacob Sanchez, Writer

Emerson, as well as thousands of other schools around the nation had worries of their school security following the tragic events that were commited around the nation over the past few years. Luckly, there was one man, by the name of Glenn Howard, that wanted to take the honor of protecting those of his beloved small family town. 

Glenn Howard, an Emerson native is a police officer at the local department and one of the head Juvenile Liaison Officers. The lifelong Emerson resident graduated from Emerson Junior Senior High School in 2006 and went on to study Criminal Justice at Rutgers University. Adding to his impressive resume, he was part of the Bergen County Police Academy class 110. 

Since graduating from the police academy, he has become a patrolman around the community of Emerson. 

However, following the national concern of school security over the past few years, he decided to take the opportunity as one of the school’s resource officers. 

When you were offered this job, why did you want to work as a school officer?

“When I took the job as a resource officer it was definitely nerve wracking. [It was] big shoes to fill as I was the first one to start something like this. I needed to gain the backing of the school administration and set us up as trustworthy officers for all students.”

What is your role as a school police officer?  

“I am the towns Juvenile Liaison Officer. I help with juvenile things, involved with the security checks, anything criminal. Recently, Officer Rizzo and I have been going into classrooms and talking about police interviews, the history of criminal justice, presenting forensics, drivers ed, and helping with the senior bridge program. As a school resource officer, we are trying to be a resource for students and faculty, to shine a good light for policemen.”

Are there any other experiences that have helped you as a school police officer? 

“I have a lot of pride for the town and the school, knowing the town and knowing the school has helped the best. I am largely involved with the community.[I] already know most of the families and I am involved with the dare program.” 

What character traits make you a good school officer? 

“I have good ties to the community. I have always been working with students in town through the dare program. I believe I have the right personality to know how to deal with them.” 

What have you been mostly doing during your time in high school? 

Communicating to students and sympathizing with parents. Building trust with everyone in the school. 

Officer Howard is adamant to show that all Emerson officers are in the school to help.  “Gaining [the] trust of everyone, trying to be trustworthy with everyone in the school. To show that we are here to help. ”