Fall Sports Update

Kiley Sweeney and Victoria Sterkinsky, Writer

It’s a month into Fall sports, and everyone is doing really well. After the way everything played out last year with Covid and its numerous restrictions, EHS students are thrilled to see that no sports have been shut down yet, and that they have been able to participate in all games. 

Boys’ Soccer Team

Starting with the Boys’ Soccer Team, as of now they are 6-0 and have had a great start to the season. Senior and Captain of the soccer team, Alex Sanmartin said, “The biggest goal is to win a league title and compete in the States, but we are taking it one day at a time.” At the look of the season, it looks like they can definitely win the league championship. Coach Rich Compagnone added, “The team looks very oppressive, we have a lot of seniors, which is great for continuity and familiarity.”

Football

The Football Team is not up to the start they wanted, but they have a very promising rest of the season. Their record right now is 1-2, but it’s only going up from here. At the start they did not have many people on the team starting with 19 people, but now they have about 23 and counting. Coach Jeff Carr said, “Number one goal is to stay healthy, number two teaches alignment and assignment, and number three has them grow as young men.” 

After asking Captain and Senior Leader, David Anderson (knowing that there are not a lot of people on the team), how he felt after more people began to join the team after the first game, he replied, “We are light on numbers, but there are a lot of new kids this year, there are a lot of sophomores starting varsity, and a lot of new kids stepping up.” The football team is looking great. 

Cheerleading

The Cheerleading Team is off to a great start as well, from gaining a new coach and not being able to do much during the season last year because of Covid, they have been able to do their halftime show every game. When asked “What are your biggest goals for this season?” Senior and Captain, Lilly Gildea, said, “To improve our skills, hit all of our stunts, and grow closer as a team.”  She then stated, “We have definitely gotten closer, we have a lot of new members and new coaches so we needed to get closer, so we all bonded and taught each other new things.”

Girls’ Cross Country

The Girls’ Cross Country Team has been off to a fast start so far this year. Senior Captain Emily Butler stated that they have “…a very strong team with one freshman, one sophomore, and six seniors. They have a lot of experience and leadership with their six seniors and look to use that as they get into the tougher meets this season”. 

As for their goals, Butler says that their biggest goals are to “…win leagues and go as far as possible in states, the new team members have helped a lot in improving the team as a whole.” The cross country team got some new runners this season who have helped bring the team to the next level. 

“We got some new runners who have been working hard with the team which has helped tremendously and has gotten us the points we have needed”.  

After a big first win during their first meet, the team has started to believe that their goals are achievable and has given other teams a reason to watch out for them as the season goes on. Right now the EPR Cross Country Team has started off fast, and are now ranked number seven in North Jersey – only behind two powerhouse schools in Ramapo and Northern Valley Demarest. 

Look out for the EPR Girls’ Cross Country Team this season as they look to win the league.

Girls’ Tennis

The Girls’ Tennis Team is off to a 2-2 start this season, with wins over Hasbrouck Heights and Midland Park. Junior captain Jessica Brenner shared some information about the team. 

This year the tennis team consists of 14 girls, with one senior – Claudia Baron. 

Sophomore Eleeza Kapadia is first singles, with Jessica Brenner as second singles, and Sam Robinson as third singles. As well as Daniela Rinkiewicz and Brianna Leach as first doubles, and Riley Smith and Olivia Perserchia as second doubles. 

Alternatives include Amelia Teigan, Melanie DelRosa, and Grace Whelan. This year their biggest goal is to have a winning record, and get better as the year goes on so they can be even better next year as they return all players but one. 

Persevering and fighting through the tough matches to get the team the most wins as possible looks to be a bright spot so far this season. 

Girls’ Volleyball

The Girls’ Volleyball Team is coming off of one of their best starts in recent years with a 4-3 record. Senior Captain Alex Belevan spoke about this year’s team. 

“We have a very strong varsity team this year consisting of juniors and seniors. All of our players are very versatile and we all play very well together. Our biggest strength that we have is our communication on the court. Communication is probably the most important thing in volleyball, and it’s something that we all do very well. Everyone on the team knows how to play all different positions so we can be strong anywhere on the court.  Our biggest goal this season is to win as many games as possible and have a winning record this season. So far, we have played very well against tough teams and I think we will be able to improve even more and get a lot more wins”.

The Girls’ Volleyball Team has been working very hard at practice, learning new plays and new serves that have really helped them in games.

“We have worked with coach John in the past so we are very familiar with his coaching style. He has helped us improve a lot, and he has taught us a lot of new plays that will help us to earn more points.” 

After winning a set against New Jersey powerhouse Bogota, the volleyball team has been on a roll, and they look to continue this as they get into the tougher games this season.

Girls’ Soccer

The Girls’ Soccer Team is off to a fast start with a 5-2 record, with their most recent win coming over Bergen Tech in the preliminary round of the Bergen County Tournament. First year head coach Amanda Vietri to talk to her about this year’s team. 

When asked what she most looks forward to in her first year of coaching, Vietri replied, “I am most excited to see how the girls have grown. This group of seniors were my first group of girls and I am excited to see how they end their careers.”

She went on to say, “This year we have a big group of girls with a lot of talent and a lot of senior leadership. We have a strong core of girls with a lot of depth”. 

Vietri added on the fast start that making sure that they keep intensity up at practice, and go into every game focused and ready to compete regardless of who the other teams are is huge as the season goes on. 

Finally, as for their goals this season, Senior Captain Gia Mandile says their biggest goal for this season is to beat Park Ridge, and go as far as possible in States. The Girls’ Soccer Team is currently ranked #20 in North Jersey and looks to continue their fast start as they take on Pascack Hills in the second round of counties on Saturday.

Overall, All of the sports teams are off to a great start, and are excited to see what the rest of the season will bring them.