Prom as a High School Senior

Tiffany Leuck, Writer

On Thursday, June 3rd, Seniors of Emerson Junior/Senior High School attended their prom hosted at the Park Ridge Marriott. The students were more than thrilled to hear that their prom was going to be the way they dreamed of and more. 

The students arrived at the venue for 7:00 which they then took their seats to begin the night. The photo booth and shirley temples were a big hit to start it off. As soon as everyone was settled in, the students wasted no time getting on the dance floor. Those built up dance moves that have been kept inside everyone for a year and a half finally came out.The dj started the night off strong with the big hit “Fireball” by pitbull, continuing with the cupid shuffle. 

This year the girls wore their long beautiful dresses alongside their dates in their bow ties and tux. “It was sentimental seeing my grade happy and back together again, we’ve been waiting for this freedom for a long time now,” said senior Shaye Diverio. 

Since having their semi-formal being stripped away by Covid, having a normal prom with a light restriction with masks, these seniors couldn’t have been happier.The food was served and the students were fulfilled. The venue gave us the choice of steak, chicken, or vegetarian meals since this year food was served as a formal sit down. 

Everyone looked handsome and beautiful going to take pictures at the photo booth. With the stress and anxiety that the prom was not going to take place, the advisors and school administration gave everything they had to make it as perfect as they could. Last minute cancellations from the past year on almost every event definitely didn’t let the students get their hopes up until they were officially in the venue. 

The end of the school year being so fun and joyful has put a big impact on the seniors knowing the whole year could’ve been like this. “We are graduating this month and it still feels like October where we had the whole school year in front of us,” said senior Tori Hopkins about her final days in EHS. 

The seniors feel sad to let go of the place that they call home but are excited to see what the next chapter in their life is about to be. “It feels unreal that we graduate next week where we leave the people we grew up with. I can’t wait to watch my best friends grow into the adults they aspire to be,” said Emma Wolf.