Why it is Better for Students to be Back in School

Eleeza Kapadia, Writer

Students at EHS have been adjusting to the new schedule of being in school everyday. Virtual learning has become a normal part of everyday life for students, and many students prefer it. However, it is better for students to be back in school rather than virtual.

To start, in school learning is more engaging than virtual learning. Students are not as prone to becoming distracted by their phone or other items around them. 

According to Dr. Louisa Egan Brad, professor of psychology, “It can be really tempting to have social media open while you are in lecture, but just as that would be something that you shouldn’t be doing in a physical classroom… I think part of it is that we’ve trained ourselves over time that video input is entertainment, it’s not education.”

It is clear that many students feel enticed to go on their phone during class. They do not realize that they need to stay engaged because they are in class. In person, these temptations would not exist. Teachers are watching as students are working, and students recognize the rules because they are in the presence of a learning environment.

Aside from the academic standpoint, students being back in school is better from the social point of view. They develop friendships in school, and socialize more often compared to when they are at home by themselves. 

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “… children get much more than academics at school. They also learn social and emotional skills at school…”

It is incredibly important for children to develop connections with others. It improves their mental well-being and it makes them feel better emotionally. At home, students do not socialize with their peers, and it could have a negative effect on their mental health and how they interact with others.

Both teachers and students have had to change their classes and curriculum. Some teachers at EHS have said that they have taken out certain units and aspects of their class. Some have even stated that they made the curriculum easier. This was solely due to the fact that some students are virtual. This ultimately showcases the fact that school in person is significantly more challenging.