Decorative Dorms

Decorative+Dorms

Cameryn Saunders, Writer

As high school seniors prepare for college, one of the first exciting steps is to buy dorm room decor. 

When decorating a dorm, it is important to keep in mind the rules of every individual college. At most colleges, there are strict rules about what types of decor can be used in a dorm room. Common rules include paying possible fees for damaging walls and other furniture in the dorm room. Using specific types of decor pieces can prevent these issues from arising each year at college.

According to Sacred Heart University, “Creating a safe, cohesive living environment is what we strive for to help you grow as a student and human being.”

Wall decor has become common among college dorm rooms. This can range from tapestries, fairy lights, personal photos, as well as other types of wall decoration. By using safe adhesives, decorating dorm room walls can be safe and efficient to place. These decorations are a great way to personalize a dorm room, without taking up any floor space. 

Society6, a website that sells a range of home decor designed by actual artists, states, “Choose your favorite and pair it with our best-in-class selection of wall art, home decor, bed and bath, apparel, tech accessories, furniture and lifestyle goods for your everyday.” 

Another way to personalize your dorm is by using plants. Adding a typical houseplant can help put together a room, as it would add color and a natural aesthetic to the dorm. Although many college students may not have the time to take care of certain plants, there are many types of minimal-care plants. There are a variety of plants with different colors, sizes, as well as maintenance levels, that could match different dorm rooms and fit the student’s life. 

Bloomscape, an online company that sells a variety of plant types, states, “Bloomscape is here to help strengthen your relationship with plants. We make buying plants easy by delivering healthy, ready-to-go plants to your door and setting you up with the tips and tricks you need to help your plants thrive.” 

Other ways to safely decorate a college dorm room are to include small additional furniture. Carpets, chairs, and mirrors are some of the many different types of pieces that could help put together a room. By using smaller accent pieces, the dorm can look complete, while keeping some of the floor space of the room. Small furniture add ons may also help give the student a sense of comfort and help them feel at home.

According to IKEA, “Making a space where you’re comfortable, organized and can concentrate- and that complements your personality and study preferences- is a no-brainer.”

College life is an introduction to independence, as students begin to live on their own as adults. A personalized dorm can provide a sense of comfort because it may help make the student feel more at home during the school year. By thoughtfully picking out decor, a dorm room can still look great without creating damage or other issues in the future.