MGK Downfalls High Review

Joanna Augelletta, Writer

Machine Gun Kelly fans were so excited for the mini-movie, Downfalls High, premiere on January 15 and 18, that was directed by Machine Gun Kelly himself and musician Mod Sun. 

The mini-movie starred TikTok sensation Chase Hudson, aka Lil Huddy, and Euphoria actress Sydney Sweeney as your classic high school couple. The movie is essentially a punk musical that features a classic high school love story, with a little twist. 

Kelly states, “We’re making a new pop-punk Grease… It was almost like shooting 14 music videos back-to-back, but with a narrative that’s outside of my personal life stories. It focuses on other characters, and then me and [Barker] are just the narrators.”

The mini-movie showcases all of Kelly’s songs off of his new album, Tickets to My Downfall, such as Kiss Kiss, Title Track, Bloody Valentine, Body Bag, WWIII, etc. While the movie has some dialogue and narration, it is mostly just music. 

Emilia Dul, MGK fan, shared her thoughts on Downfalls High. “I thought it was unique how he chose to incorporate all of the songs into a movie instead of releasing individual music videos.” 

The movie is about 49minutes long and is available to watch on Machine Gun Kelly’s Youtube channel and Facebook page. According to Youtube, the movie has over six million views and on his Facebook page, it has over one million views. Fans really enjoyed the movie and gave Kelly and everyone who helped make the movie possible so much love and support. 

Downfalls High has special guest appearances by Travis Barker, Blackbear, Trippie Redd, and Iann Dior, who are all featured in songs off the album. 

I was disappointed neither YUNGBLUD nor Halsey were able to make an appearance in the movie, because they were both featured in great songs off the album. I was also disappointed that one of my favorite songs off the album, “Body Bag”, was only played for a few seconds, while the other songs were played pretty much until the end. But other than that, I really enjoyed watching it and think Kelly did a great job with it. I have even watched it more than once. 

Lil Huddy shared his feelings about being in the movie on MGK’s Instagram post stating, “Thank you truly for this experience it has been life changing. love you man.”

This concept of a movie-music video is a very new and creative concept and I hope to see more like this from Machine Gun Kelly and other musicians. It was so exciting to watch a movie and have all your favorite songs be played one after the other, while also telling an intriguing story.