To Shop In-Store or Online?

Jessica Coyle, Writer

The decision to go shopping always takes a lot of thought, especially during a pandemic. Some find it easier to make the sacrifice of viewing products in person and to shop online instead of physically going into stores. According to an online shopping statistic from Optinmonster, “69% of Americans have shopped online, and 25% of Americans shop online at least once per month.” While there are benefits to both in-store and online shopping, shopping in-store is best to support local businesses. 

When shopping in-store, one has access to workers who can give information, as well as the ability to view the products in person. When struggling with shopping, a consultant who works at the store can be of great help to give you insight on your purchases. Also, especially in regard to clothing purchases, it is easier to actually see the piece in person.

“You can really tell what’s going to fit and what’s your style because women’s sizes vary greatly,” explained senior at EHS Taylor Rausch when asked why she prefers to shop in stores. For women, it is difficult to know what size you will be because a small in one store can be equivalent to a large in another. 

“In stores, you can see the clothes before you buy them, and sometimes when you shop online it is difficult to see if the material is poorly made. You can like the way something looks online but then hate the way it looks in person,” said Briella Kellish, a senior at Emerson High School. It is important to be able to see how products will fit you and have the ability to try on the options. When ordering online you may not be able to tell the quality of products. 

Although shopping in-store allows one to truly pick out clothing, online shopping is more convenient to many. With online, there tends to be more options, since there are more items in stock than possible in a single store. 

For those who have many responsibilities, it is easier to shop from home instead of waiting in line and going to multiple stores to find products. It also can be difficult to physically go to certain stores based on where one lives. 

“I get to look at everything and it is easier to shop from home rather than having someone potentially rush or bother me,” stated Tori Hopkins, a senior at EHS. With online shopping, there is usually more access to promotions and coupons than in-store, which can greatly help in saving money. A downside to this is that many sites make buyers pay for shipping. Also, it is hard to determine the fit and material of products before purchasing them online, and the threat of possible fraud through offers or information taken is always there. 

Due to the threat of coronavirus, many feel safer shopping from their own home, but they are missing out on the benefits of shopping in person. Although it is important to limit contact with people, many smaller businesses are struggling. Small businesses tend to not have an online site, and instead big corporations such as Amazon are benefiting during this time. There are pros and cons to both forms of shopping, but I believe as long as one is social distancing and wearing a mask properly, shopping in-store is important to support smaller businesses.