Will Virtual Learning Make Snow Days Disappear?

Alexandra Belevan, Writer

As the cold weather approaches during virtual learning, schools have been contemplating on whether or not to implement snow days. 

Some schools in New Jersey have decided that they will be staying open when there is snow because there is no need to be on the road during virtual learning. However, students are against this because there are other factors that can make the school day difficult to get through.

With extreme snow storms and winds, there is a very high chance that the power can go out at students’ houses. This can cause the Wifi to slow down and can lead to devices dying during classes. When there is bad weather, Wifi seems to slow down and it makes it hard to stay engaged with a class because of the teacher’s audio always cutting out. 

This will just cause a lot of confusion and it would be much easier to have the day off and not have to worry about any technical difficulties, including not being able to turn assignments in on time because of the cable services going out. 

Bad weather conditions in the past have caused students to miss class which gives them an absence that they do not deserve. Even with rain, students have trouble with their Wifi, so the conditions with snow storms will make it much worse. 

During snow storms, parents of many high school and middle school students give their kids the responsibilities of shoveling outside of their house. With classes going on, students have to make a decision on attending classes or letting the snow pile up, which can turn into a dangerous situation. 

Young kids today will not know the joy of hearing the phone ring at five in the morning and their parents telling them that it is a snow day while they are half asleep. 

Elementary school students also want to play in the snow and enjoy a day off from school. Snow does not come very often, so children should have the opportunity to take advantage of it and build snowmans and snow forts. 

Courier Times says, “Additionally, snow days also serve as a rite of passage for many family traditions like cooking snow day meals, sleeping in, breakfast, playing games, building snowmen, watching movies, baking cookies, etc.”

Families have traditions on snow days, but schools are ruining this because they believe students should still be able to learn during the snow because school is all virtual. 

Virtual school has been very tiring for students and teachers, and everyone just wants at least one day off. Snow days give everyone an opportunity to take a break and enjoy the snow. 

Many schools have three snow days built into the year, so it would not hurt to give students the day off. Everyone deserves a break for the hard conditions we have been attending school and would enjoy just one day where we do not have to stare at our computers. Kids need a break due to the tough times they are experiencing at home on the laptop all day.

Even in the future, when school is back in person, snow days still have a chance of disappearing. Schools will most likely move to remote learning if students are physically not able to go to school. Now is the time to keep implementing snow days throughout remote learning so that it does not change in the future. 

With snow storms approaching, students hope that schools will make the right call in giving a snow day.