Netflix Shows to Binge during Pandemic

Netflix Shows to Binge during Pandemic

Jessica Coyle, Writer

Feeling stir crazy with the pandemic? Netflix might be your solution. With coronavirus constantly hanging over everyone’s heads, most activities to pass the time are unavailable. Many have turned to television, specifically Netflix, to pass the vast amounts of free time they have been left with. There are numerous shows to choose from, but some stand out more than others. 

For instance, The Office is a popular sitcom about the employees of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. It follows the relationships of different characters while including the everyday antics that happen in the office. The office relationships, such as the one between Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly, as well as the hilarity of characters such as Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute, and Creed Bratton make for a compelling narrative, which makes you want to experience the story multiple times through rewatching. 

“It’s really funny and the episodes are short so I just keep watching them and I lose track of time,” says Senior at Emerson Jr-Sr High School, Briella Kellish. If you’re interested in a lighthearted show that keeps you entertained, The Office might be the one for you. 

The fascinating drama, Gossip Girl, takes place on the Upper East Side of New York City and displays the lives of privileged teenagers. The plot follows a perplexing blogger, Gossip Girl, who constantly reveals the secrets of these teens, as well as the relationships and difficulties between them. The unknown identity of this Gossip Girl paired with the upper class world makes the show all the more compelling. 

Taylor Rausch, a senior at Emerson, says, “I rewatch Gossip Girl a lot because sometimes you miss little quotes or scenes that are actually funny or cute,” and that, “It keeps you interested by trying to guess who she [Gossip Girl] is.” The tension between best friends Serena Van Der Woodsen and Blair Waldorf, and the messy romantic relationships between Serena, Blair, Nate Archibald, Dan Humphrey, and Chuck Bass fuel the drama and the suspense of Gossip Girl. 

The mystical Vampire Diaries revolves around a group of teenagers in the town of Mystic Falls. After losing her parents, Elena and her friends are dragged into the world of the supernatural when two vampire brothers arrive in town. The show displays the two brothers fighting for Elena’s affections and the difficulties that their group faces against the supernatural world. 

I binge watched it during the beginning of quarantine and it makes the audience become so attached to the characters that they never want to turn it off. It’s also a very fast-moving show, with new characters and new adventures that the audience has to follow,” explained Senior Emma Wolf. If you’re interested in a love triangle and supernatural elements, this show would entertain you. 

The sitcom New Girl follows the peculiar Jessica Day, a teacher who ends up living in a loft apartment with three random men after a bad breakup. This comical series displays the connections between Jess, her best friend Cece, and the three men (Schmidt, Nick, and Winston) as they move through the adult world. 

“It’s so funny and all the things that happen can actually happen. It’s like realistic fiction and the characters are perfect for the show. They make the situations relatable,” expressed Briella Kellish. Each character has their own quirks that makes the viewer want to keep watching. 

The hilarious Schitt’s Creek is a sitcom that follows the Rose family after they have lost all their money, and are forced to move to the town of Schitt’s Creek, their last remaining asset. Moira, Johnny, and their children, Alexis and David, have to adjust to small town life without their wealth. 

“I’ve watched it three times. The episodes are short and it’s so funny that I can finish a season in one day,” said Senior Jamie Dunican. It focuses on their attempt to regain their position in the upper class, while building relationships with those in town. 

Throughout these unprecedented times, it can be difficult to find a way to pass the time. Watching entertaining shows can help ease the stress of the world, especially these enjoyable ones.