Bored and Quarantined? Here’s What Emerson Students Are Up To:

Social distancing because of COVID-19 may be more difficult for people to manage than we thought. Boredom is on the rise throughout Emerson, the United States, and the whole world and there’s only one way to stop it. Well actually, there’s a lot of things you can do. Here are the top 10 things people are doing to stay busy during the social distancing:

#1 Watch TV/Movies

One of the most common things that students at EHS are doing to stay busy during social distancing is watching a new TV show or movie, or even rewatching their favorites. Not sure what to watch? The New York Times has you covered with their top TV show and movie suggestions for during the quarantine. 

#2 Facetime/Video Call Friends

Many students are taking advantage of video chats and facetime that are available to them in order to stay in touch with their friends. Some students even play games or watch TV while calling so it feels like a regular hangout. 

#3: Read a book

Just because we aren’t technically in school doesn’t mean you should stop reading. Plus, reading isn’t only educational but can help you to learn more about something you are interested in or even discover a new genre you like! Many EHS students are spending their time at home finding new books and genres that they love. 

#4 Go Outside

Social distancing doesn’t mean you need to stay in your house all day. Many students are taking advantage of the beautiful weather and going outside.“I’ve been running and biking every day so I can get outside and away from school for a little,” says Sarah Walsh, a freshman here at EHS. 

#5 Cook/Bake

Learning to cook or bake something new is always a great way to spend free time. Plus, there’s plenty of great “Quarantine Recipes” out there. The New York Times has many recipe suggestions to look into. Have fun Cooking!

#6 Board Game or Puzzle

It may seem boring and old fashioned, but board games and puzzles can be really fun. Olivia Piserchia, a freshman at EHS said, “I played some board games with my family over the weekend”. Not sure what to play? Here are some fun board games that the New York Times suggests. 

#7 Sleep

It seems like a waste of time but especially in such a stressful time, staying well-rested is an important part of staying healthy. Many EHS students admitted to spending some of their time sleeping in a little extra these past few days. 

#8 Organize, Clean, Redecorate

Many students in Emerson are taking this time to get organized, clean and redecorate their room or school materials. Redecorating can be a really fun way to spend your time, especially since you are stuck at home all day. 

#9 Draw/Color

Coloring and drawing is something that everyone can do in their free time. Coloring is not just for little kids and is a great way to spend your time, especially in such a stressful one like during social distancing and distance learning. 

#10 Virtual Trips

Another fun thing to do during social distancing is going on a virtual trip or tour. There are many websites with virtual Disney rides, museum tours, and many more things to do. So even though you have to stay at home, try taking a virtual trip to anywhere you like. 

The possibilities during social distancing are virtually endless. There are so many new things you can learn and do during this time. You can use some of these suggestions or even come up with your own.