Girls’ Soccer Team Kicks Off the Season

Natalia Baron

Celebrating after a big win!

Natalia Baron

As fall begins, Emerson Junior-Senior High School’s soccer season begins and the girls’ soccer team is ready to kick it off. This fall, the high school girl’s soccer team start their new season with a strong bond and a new goals. Their season began with nine wins and two losses for varsity, and three wins, one loss and a tie for the JV team.

This season the girls have a strong relationship with each other and are excited for the season. There are nine seniors, four juniors, twelve sophomores, and eight freshmen. There are many freshmen that joined the team and who make a great contribution to the team and the teams goals for the season. 

Freshman Bobbi Morton says, “I’m enjoying my first year of soccer, I have made lots of new friends and enjoy spending time with my new teammates. I feel as if our strengths as a team are communicating on the field as well as pushing each other for the better on and off the field. My goal for this season is to do whatever I can do to help push this team for success” 

Followed by Carrie Freedman that says,“I am enjoying my first year of soccer and I think as a team our strengths are being able to communicate well”. 

As a freshman, joining a high school sport, going up to a higher level, making new friends, and playing with new people  can be difficult. The girls adjusted to the life of a high school athlete smoothly and are becoming stronger day by day. The team practices everyday after school on the turf for one to two hours long. As the girls on the team play with each other everyday, they are becoming closer with each other as teammates and friends. The girls on the team were asked on what their opinion of what they think the relationship of the team and how practicing everyday effects them and the team. 

Sarah Walsh says, “Practicing together everyday has definitely made us closer as a team and has allowed us to bond over time. The relationship we have as a team overall is strong we have all gotten much closer throughout the season. We all look out for each other to work harder.”

Moreover, the girls on the team have great leaders, the seniors, as their captains this year, and their coaches that keep them focused and strong. The coaches on the team, Coach Vietri, Coach Lobue, and Coach Lachman, help show the girls that being part of the team should be a fun experience and a beneficial way to become involved in the school and a stronger athlete.

Jv and Varsity coach Vietri says, “This year’s team is almost identical to last year’s and I think it’s helped strengthen all the relationships on the team. It’s at least the second year most of the team has been together. Everyone, including the coaches, gets along well. This group of girls is easy to have fun with while also being able to maintain the focus we need to win. The nine new freshmen have blended into the existing team seamlessly. Having nine seniors on one team is an amazing thing to happen. They’ve all stepped into their roles as leaders of the team. These seniors know what needs to be done to be successful and have been doing a great job making sure the younger girls fully buy in. They’re a strong, talented group of girls who will leave a difficult to replace hole when they graduate. I’m looking forward to what the rest of the year has in story for all three levels.”

Overall, the whole soccer team is made up of girls who create a strong team that is able to have fun and play hard on the field at the same time. The girls make soccer season fun with their fun and energetic relationship together. As the season continues, the girls will hopefully have an excellent season due to the relationship that is shown on and off the field.