• March 24Volleyball Tournament April 23rd - Get ready!

• March 7Dodgeball Tournament 3/29 - Get your team together!

• February 7What is your favorite video game? Take the poll below.

• February 7Buy a Krispy Kreme donut to benefit the Robotics team! See a member.

• January 25Volleyball Tournament coming soon! Stay tuned for details

• November 19The Cavalier is mobile! Download the app now.

The Cavalier

Filed under Sports, Spring

Girls’ softball stepped into states

The Emerson girl’s softball team earned a tough win against Hawthorne High School in the first round of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) State Tournament. The Cavos started the game May 23, but stormy weather set off lighting detectors which forced everyone to evacuate in the bottom of the sixth inning. The game picked up on May 24, and that’s when eight-seeded Emerson picked up the win over ninth-seeded Hawthorne.

The girls played very strong and tied in the bottom of the second inning with a score of 1-1. Hawthorne scored 3 runs, making the score 4-1. The third inning was a good one for the Lady Cavos as they boosted the score in their favor 6-4. Emerson won the game 10-4.

The girls seemed to have some anxious energy at the plate against Hawthorne who pushed Emerson out of the first round of states last year. Sophomore Samantha DeStefano battled in one run.

“It was good to know that you’re a part of the win and made an impact on the game,” DeStefano said.

DeStefano said the Cavos didn’t start the best and had to pick each other up after some errors in the field. The girls rallied in the third inning.

“We just get excited when somebody stats to pull through and get a hit., You feel happy for them and want to keep it going,” DeStefano said.

We just get excited when somebody stats to pull through and get a hit., You feel happy for them and want to keep it going”

— Samantha DeStefano

The Lady Cavos eventually fell to Saddle Brook in the second round the the NJSIAA playoffs.

About the Writer
Nina O'Connell, Editor In Chief

Nina O’Connell is a senior and the Editor-in-Chief at Emerson Junior-Senior High School. When she's not editing, Nina is writing on a variety of topics...

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School
Girls’ softball stepped into states