• March 24Volleyball Tournament April 23rd - Get ready!

• March 7Dodgeball Tournament 3/29 - Get your team together!

• February 7What is your favorite video game? Take the poll below.

• February 7Buy a Krispy Kreme donut to benefit the Robotics team! See a member.

• January 25Volleyball Tournament coming soon! Stay tuned for details

• November 19The Cavalier is mobile! Download the app now.

The Cavalier

Filed under Sports, Spring

The joy in seeing others succeed

Mudita.

That Buddhist term has become the mantra for the 2016 Emerson varsity softball season. It means feeling joy for others, and that’s exactly what junior Katie Falotico says she feels whenever she steps onto the field.

“This year, our team has grown closer as the season has gone, and our dynamic is centered around this idea of ‘mudita’ which is a term that has taught us to play selflessly and for one another, getting joy from seeing each other succeed,” Falotico said.

Success on the field is nothing new for Falotico.  She’s already committed to play college softball at the University of Albany, Division 1, in the fall of 2017. Closer to home, she’s gearing up for state playoffs. On Monday, May 23, Falotico and the EHS varsity team take on Hawthorne at 4 p.m. in the first round of states.

Her love of the sport started when she was just eight years old.

“My dad asked me when I was little if I wanted to play tee ball, and I said yes even though I didn’t completely know how I would like it. I ended up enjoying it a lo, and went to play baseball, but after a while wanted to move onto softball in order to play with other girls,” Falotico said.

She calls her parents her biggest supporters and credits them for shaping her attitude and heart for the game of softball.

In the summer, Falotico plays for the Rock 18u Wayem, a club team in Pennsylvania. In the offseason, Falotico keeps sharp by working with batting coaches.The lefty primarily plays first base but can also take on the outfield.

Hard work and determination is something Falotico also brings into the classroom, too. She recently earned the West Point Eisenhower Leadership Award which recognizes students for academics, athletics, community service, citizenship and leadership.

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School
The joy in seeing others succeed