Kindness: It Costs Nothing, but Means Everything

Briella Donahue, Journalist

This Friday brings about joy and kindness to everyone, with it being the day of “Random Acts of Kindness” this February 17th. 

The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation started in the 1990’s in the San Francisco Bay as a way to hear and appreciate random acts of kindness, instead of hearing numerous reports of violence. Though, Random Acts of Kindness Day began in Denver, Colorado in 1995 after a private foundation bought it; it is now celebrated everywhere yearly.

Though the day originated in the United States, it has spread to countries such as New Zealand, which they began to celebrate in 2004. However, New Zealand celebrates on September 1st instead.

Regardless of the date that various countries celebrate, it is clear that this is an important date to remember. Being kind to others can have a long-lasting impact, even if it is small. Kindness in the forms of compliments, speaking with someone new and making friends with them, and giving gifts are some of the many ways that individuals can spread kindness. An act of kindness is easy to give, and rewarding to do.

“I think it’s important to spread kindness so that people know that you’re there for each other,” said freshman Diana Ortega.

Many students agree that this day should be celebrated and acknowledged more than it is, especially in school. Some students have suggested that there be announcements made on this day over the loudspeaker, while others suggest there be a bulletin board or posters displayed of this day around the school.

Middle school Spanish teacher Jennifer Haveman shared her own personal experience of receiving a random act of kindness from a student. She spoke about a letter a student gave her, and said, “I opened [it] up and I started to cry… It was random and it really touched me.”

While it is clear that kindness can affect those who receive it and make them feel better and in a happy mood, it can also affect the way that the person who was kind feels. Middle school science teacher Deochand Deodharrie himself declared, “Personally and professionally, if I’m kind to people, I feel good about myself… I feel as though I am making a difference in their lives.”

Both receiving and giving kindness can affect the way a person feels in a positive way, making it clear that kindness must be given whenever and wherever possible. Being kind is one step towards making the world a better, safer place for everyone to live in.

Sophomore, Madison Ostroff said it best: “It costs nothing to be nice to people. It takes effort to be mean. Being nice can really make the school a better place.”