A Chaperone’s Perspective of the Junior Semi Formal

Erica Martinucci, Writer

When it comes to April 1st, most people think of playing pranks and engaging in assorted shenanigans.  This year, however, it was all about dancing and partying it up at the Junior Semi-Formal.  

Held at Oradell’s (confusingly-named) Hackensack Golf Club, this much-anticipated event was all about enjoying the moment and each other’s company.  Jokes?  Not so much.

The unseasonably-cold and windy weather made wearing dazzling evening gowns and fancy up-dos a bit tricky, but everyone managed to look glamorous and vivacious as they waited for the school buses.  Although the trip was a brief one, it was as if the attendees had entered another world once they walked through those double doors.

Class co-advisors Jen Norato and Sharon McClure worked together to ensure that there were floral centerpieces, glow sticks, and Shirley Temples*, as well as a place for photo ops (everything you need to make a night super special).  A plentiful buffet-style dinner and tasty pull-apart cupcakes (along with other sweets) kept everyone’s energy up, but not as much as the music did. 

The crew at Pulse Entertainment made sure the dance floor was always full.  Tunes by Lizzo, Megan Thee Stallion, V.I.C., The Spice Girls, The Killers, Shakira, and so many more artists played seamlessly into each other, and eventually evolved into a rave-style situation.  That’s when I saw Elmo.  Rick and Morty also made a brief appearance, as well as a Minion.  (Yes, I checked my Shirley Temple.  It really happened.)  

Music can make or break a function, and DJ Cole and his entourage had people on their (bare) feet (author included) the whole evening.

Speaking as a chaperone/teacher/mother/human being, it was an absolute joy to see friends and couples alike sharing smiles, laughter, and love.  The familiar sight of discarded high heels by the tables were proof that dancing was a number-one priority.  I witnessed one young man offering his suit jacket to his date, and it reminded me that chivalry was not dead.  I saw a pair gaze at each other so sweetly it renewed my faith in love, and made me think of that meme where it says, “Get someone who looks at you like…”.  Sigh.

Then there were the friends who checked on each other to make sure they were okay.  One girl draped her arm around another’s shoulders when it seemed her buddy was feeling disconnected, and another brought some water to a friend who was feeling less than her best.  These are moments that may seem insignificant, but they speak volumes about the kindness and compassion our students can show – even in the middle of all of the excitement.  Of course it warmed my heart.

I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that I thought it was adorable when I saw girls wearing evening gowns and socks, and carrying those fabulous shoes at the end of the night.  If only I’d done the same.

I hear next year’s Senior Prom will be held at the Park Ridge Marriott!  I hope they need another chaperone!  

*A Shirley Temple is a sweet non-alcoholic drink typically made with grenadine and Seven-Up/Sprite/ginger ale and maraschino cherries.  I’m a fan.