Emerson Girls Basketball Team Is “Red Hot”

Brooke DeSantis, Contributor

The Emerson Girls Basketball Team is undefeated in their league right now with a big game against Park Ridge coming up on February 3rd. Their senior night is on February 16th against Waldwick. They are coached by Colleen Malzahn and Devin Riker with an occasional appearance from Artie Vogel. 

It was their first time beating Cresskill twice in a season since 2011 with a score of 51-38 even with the conditions of playing in a rec center and 47-41 at home. The girls team had a great team effort beating Waldwick (51-44) on their home court while sticking together focusing on the things that they can control as Coach Colleen always says. The team has gone through some rough patches in the season, but they’ve come back strong. They played in a “Forget Me Not” fundraiser game which is a benefit game where the proceeds of entering the game and the raffle go to that foundation. Unfortunately, the holiday tournament was canceled because of Covid. They have played many independent games, and are undefeated in the league right now. This is also the first time since 2017 that Emerson beat Midland Park twice in a season. They had a very tough win against Fair Lawn, which was their first out of league win where they beat them 56-44 with big contributions from the whole team. 

The team word this year is BELIEVE. Colleen always says “BELIEVE in each other and BELIEVE in ourselves” to keep the girls motivated. The team consists of four seniors, four juniors, three sophomores, and four freshmen. They were added to the top 25 teams in North Jersey on NJ.com. They were also predicted to be 3rd in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference and predicted to be 4 in all of group 1 in New Jersey. An nj.com article called the Emerson Girls Basketball Team “red hot” after their second win against Cresskill. The girls’ record mid season right now is (9-4).