No Wifi;No School

Riley Smith, Writer

It is the start of your day and you just got your first assignment from your teacher. You log on to your chromebook to find out your wifi has been disconnected. You end up wasting your whole class time waiting for your wifi to connect. You are unable to complete your classwork for the day and you receive a zero for the assignment.

Recently, a recurring issue has become larger for students at Emerson Junior Senior High School. There are different wifis that are available to join but only with a password which we are unable to obtain. Wifi at EHS is slow and weak.

Moreover, this issue hinders students from fully completing their work. Just a couple days ago a student, Ryan Grompone, was doing important work for one of her classes when the wifi suddenly shut off. This forced her to have to sit there for almost half of the class and wait for the wifi to turn back on. She was unable to complete the work for that day and had to turn her work in late.

Some teachers might suggest students use cellphones instead of their computers, however for many students, limited amounts of data is an issue. Some students are only allowed a certain amount of data a month and sometimes they might go over this amount and parents have to pay extra. However, EHS students could connect their phone to the wifi, they would not have to face the issue of worrying about going over their data limit or having to pay more than the expected amount.

The school might claim that this might be too much money to get a new and strong wifi for students. This is understandable as this would be difficult to find the money to pay for this especially when the referendum is very expensive. However, we live in a world where we all revolve around technology and it is a big part of education today. Purchasing a new wifi for students is a priority because it will enhance our learning and better our education. One article stated, “Access to the Internet is fundamental to achieving this vision for the future. It can improve the quality of education in many ways…Teachers use online materials to prepare lessons, and students to extend their range of learning” (Internet Society).

Overall, getting a new wifi, even though it is expensive, is worth it and very important. After all, learning is what Emerson is about.