Holiday Favorites

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F140970794%40N06%2F31193806626%2F+%0A

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140970794@N06/31193806626/

Maddie Meltzer, Writer

The holiday season is the favorite time of year for many people. Between spending time with family and friends, snow days, and getting presents, everybody enjoys all aspects of the winter months. There is nothing better than waking up on a school day, glancing out the window to see the world camouflaged with snow and getting the anticipated phone call from school. 

The last two months of the year provide families with endless activities. In the northeast, New York City is the heart of holiday fun. Most prominent is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Many people enjoy ice skating at Rockefeller Center, visiting the renowned Christmas Tree, shopping at the countless amount of stores that the city has to offer, and much more. Many friend groups love getting together to have friendsgiving, build gingerbread houses, or just enjoy a cozy movie night in. Thanksgiving is often correlated with spending time with friends and family, which many people love doing. New York City closes out the year and enters the new one with a bang, the ball drop in Times Square. 

Holiday movies are extremely popular and loved during this season. According to Oprah magazine, some popular Thanksgiving movies are ‘A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving’ and ‘What’s Cooking?’. Well known Christmas movies that are loved by millions are ‘The Polar Express’, ‘Home Alone’, and ‘Christmas With the Kranks’. The Hallmark Channel is home to exceptional holiday movies this time of year.

With the holiday season right around the corner, students at Emerson Junior Senior High School were asked what their favorite thing to do during this time of year is. 

Senior Gianna Mancino said, “I love to sit at home with my friends and family under warm blankets and watch Christmas movies while drinking hot chocolate. Also, singing Christmas songs while I help my mom decorate the house and spread Christmas cheer.”

Sophomore Daniel Granucci said, “For Thanksgiving, I like to watch the football game with my family because it is one of my favorite sports.”

Senior Ghazal Khouri said, “I go with my cousins to the city and we spend the whole day there and go look at the Christmas tree. On Christmas Eve, my whole family hangs out together and we watch movies, make dinner, and bake cookies. On Christmas Day, we have a big party at my house with all of our family and friends.” 

Senior Hailey Lenino said, “On Thanksgiving, I love eating a big dinner with my family in front of the fireplace.”

For the first 10 months of the year, many people all around the world eagerly await for ‘the most wonderful time of the year’ which includes the months of November and December and many holidays including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and New Years Eve. 

This entertaining time of year encompass’ presents, snow, decorations, a lot of food, and time well spent with family and friends. Students at Emerson Junior Senior High School undoubtedly love the holidays and cherish the time they spend with their loved ones.