Alyssa Mattera: Dominating the Field

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alyssa Mattera: Dominating the Field

Marissa Colloco, Reporter

Alyssa Mattera is a returning starter of the Emerson varsity softball team. She is a talented athlete that has been playing softball since she was five years old. As a flexible player, she plays multiple positions such as third base and the outfield.

Emerson’s varsity softball team includes three seniors – Alyssa Mattera, Julia Kellish, and Isabella Ellis. The team also features various returning starters as well as a few new players. The softball team has a record of 9 and 5 with big league wins against Midland Park and Waldwick. For Emerson’s senior night, they will play Park Ridge on Thursday, May 9th, with the added bonus of possibly winning the league title. “Our goal for this season is to become league champions” Mattera mentions. “We also want to have a good run in states”.

Mattera has very strong opinions on what she feels the strongest part of softball is. “I think the most important aspect of softball is teamwork. We all work together and are determined to succeed. I also think leadership is important in order to motivate others.”

Being a senior of the team is bittersweet, as it involves many “last” events. Alyssa Mattera’s favorite memory of softball is winning leagues two years in a row: her freshman and sophomore year. “I plan on staying active in college, so I’d definitely want to participate in club softball”, Mattera says. It has been a memorable four years on this team for Mattera, and she is grateful for the experience and lessons she has learned.