Emma Callagy: Hurdle Track Star

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emma Callagy: Hurdle Track Star

Sophomore Emma Callagy jumps over the hurdle while competing in an event at a track meet.

Claudia Pistachio, Reporter

Emma Callagy is a sophomore at EHS who is a member of the track team. She participates in multiple events including the 400 meter hurdles, the 100 meter high hurdles, and the 4 by 400 meter relay. The girls’ team has been very successful so far this year with a record of 8-0 in dual meets. Callagy recently beat her personal record in the 400 meter race by 3 seconds.

Callagy’s success comes from practicing during track practice as well as preparation for meets directly before her events. “To prepare for the big meets i usually listen to music and do a lot of stretching. I try my best to stay focused,” Callagy said when explaining how she prepares herself physically and mentally for her track meets. Being in a sport like track requires one to always stay focused when you are participating in any given event.

One major part of being a successful member of the track team is by keeping personal records, setting goals and working hard to reach those goals. “My current record for high hurdles is 19.2 seconds and for the 400 meter hurdles it is 75.0 seconds,” Callagy said when asked about her personal records for her events. She recently beat her personal record by 3 seconds in her favorite event, the 400 meter hurdles.

Even though achieving goals and practicing is an important part of being on the track team for Callagy, one of the most rewarding parts of being on the team comes from the the support and love of her teammates. “My favorite part of being on the track team is the environment. We are a family and it is always fun being together,” explained Callagy when asked about what her favorite part of being on the team is. Success on a sports team comes from hard work and dedication as well as having support and love from friends, family, and teammates. Callagy’s success comes from her ability to have all of these things while being on the EHS track team.