No Holiday Break for Logan Mazzeo and the EPR Wrestling Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Logan Mazzeo (right) and Nick Babin (left) at the Sophomore Nationals in Virginia Beach.

The holiday season is right around the corner. All students are excited to just rest and get time off, but Logan Mazzeo and the Emerson/Park Ridge wrestling team will be training nonstop during the winter break for the Bergen County wrestling tournament.

“I have been training like a machine, I lift weights, run. I train harder every day. The whole team has been pushing themselves and we are not gonna stop here because this is only the beginning,” Mazzeo said.

Last season the team placed 2nd overall and had 3 individual champions: Luke Mazzeo, Nick Babin, and Jonah Schechtman. But Logan Mazzeo came short of being a Bergen county champion last year and everyday that’s been in his head and he wants to be on top.

“No one will get in my way this year because all I see is Gold nothing else and I plan to be on top of the podium,” Mazzeo says.

This is a very intense time for the wrestlers to make the weight during the holidays season but it’s all self control as they say. It’s also very exciting time because this tournament is very fun and it brings people together because there’s over 40 teams there.

“The cutting weight part isn’t too tough, because i’m just more excited to get to the tournament and see lots of friends there that I haven’t seen in awhile, but most of all this year Im more excited to wrestle with my brother Luke for the last time in this tournament because he’s a senior,” Mazzeo explained to me.

The County tournament is only two days after christmas and that means the EPR wrestling team won’t even take a day off on their winter and holiday break. They will have to keep training to become the and to beat the best. “No days off” that’s what coach Mazzeo says.

The Bergen County Holiday tournament also called the Bergen County wrestling tournament will be December 27-28. It will held at Hackensack high school.