Art Club: An open and relaxed place for students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Various swirls of colors painting by students in the sophmore/ junior hallway.

Klaudia Baran, Reporter

The Art Club is a club at EHS that offers time to students who want to work on art without having to worry about a grade. Ms. Stella Sormani is an art teacher at Emerson who is also an advisor for the club, which meets on B-days during activity period. Recently, she shared her views about this unique and enjoyable gathering.

“Art Club is really just an open studio space for students to come in during activity period and work independently and experiment with materials, and just enjoy art-making without the constraint of- doing something for a grade,” Sormani explained. What I hope to achieve is just to have more kids come in and enjoy.”

Sormani believes that Art Club is more of a free and relaxed place for kids to do what they enjoy, rather than a rigid and repetitive classroom.

“It’s always just really an open, free, relaxed, and quiet place. It’s nice to be able to do artwork outside of classwork and I also think that it’s nice to experiment on your own without any pressure of trying to produce final work for a grade.”

Art Club welcomes everyone, whether they’re a member or not, to come and work on something of your own. There is always room for more!