• March 24Volleyball Tournament April 23rd - Get ready!

• March 7Dodgeball Tournament 3/29 - Get your team together!

• February 7What is your favorite video game? Take the poll below.

• February 7Buy a Krispy Kreme donut to benefit the Robotics team! See a member.

• January 25Volleyball Tournament coming soon! Stay tuned for details

• November 19The Cavalier is mobile! Download the app now.

The Cavalier

Emerson’s a capella group is performing at the Highlands A Capella Festival!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emily Burns, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Emerson Junior-Senior High School’s very own a capella group, E Major, is taking part in the annual Highlands A Capella Festival on May 12th! E Major is a group of Emerson select chorus members who perform a capella numbers, which are arrangements made for only voices with no accompaniment from a piano or other instruments. Usually, a cappella groups have a vocal percussionist, also known as a beatboxer, who adds the element of percussion to the vocal piece.

E Major also attended the Highlands A Capella Festival last year and performed an arrangement of Rather Be by Clean Bandit. At the festival, groups from all over the tri-state area come at 8 a.m. and attend workshops throughout the day, run by famous a capella professionals including sessions like a Riff-off, Intro to Vocal Percussion, Barbershop, and much more. Professionals who have worked with groups like Pentatonix and Pitch Perfect are even there to lend some knowledge!

Towards the afternoon, each performing group gets to attend an individualized master class to work on a specific number in their repertoire. A bit later, each group has a sound check in the main auditorium where the sound designer gets to find a blend between the members of each group.

In the evening comes the best part! All the groups come together for a spectacular a capella concert that night. Each group performs the number they got to work on with their assigned professional in addition to a few performances from special guests!

This year, E Major will be performing an arrangement of Todrick Hall’s trendy youtube video, “4 The 90s.” Come see a sneak peek in the auditorium during Period 7 to see E Major rehearsals!

About the Writer
Emily Burns, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Emily is an Arts and Entertainment section editor, and this is her second year writing for The Cavalier. She enjoys attending movies, concerts and Broadway...

• Emerson’s a capella group is performing at the Highlands A Capella Festival!

Arts and Entertainment

Seasoned veterans and fresh new faces in this year’s play, “Sister Act”

Arts and Entertainment

Stan Lee passes away at age 95! World mourns!

Arts and Entertainment

Marvel’s real-life superhero

Arts and Entertainment

The full band experience with Molli Gordon

Arts and Entertainment

Time to get PALOOZED at the 2nd annual CavoPALOOZA!

Arts and Entertainment

The Office: Making A Comeback Years Later

Arts and Entertainment

2018 Billboard Music Awards: Out with the Old in with the New

Arts and Entertainment

HQ Trivia, giving Cavos so many chances to win

Arts and Entertainment

“This Is America” – a representation of modern America?

Arts and Entertainment

Jo Wilson says, “Me too” in the season 14 return of Grey’s Anatomy: “1-800-799-7233”

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School