Prom is not as important as the status quo makes it

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seventeen

Seventeen

Seventeen

Sarah Gordon, Opinion Section Editor

From the minute a student steps into his or her senior year, prom is likely to become a major concern. They are excited for the one night, where they can gather with their class, dress up, enjoy the dance floor, and eat all the food they possibly can.

A writer from The Odyssey says, “Prom. Also one of the most stressful events a high school senior has to deal with. Looking back on my experiences with prom, I now realize that none of it really mattered because it was just a dance. Prom is simply just a glorified homecoming dance for high school seniors and stressing about it is really unnecessary.”

The amount of effort that goes into it sometimes makes it seem as though it is more work than a research paper. It is supposed to be a night of fun, but that fun can be drowned out by all the other efforts being put in.

Most notably, a significant amount of money is put into this single event. It has been estimated by Yahoo Style’s 2017 “Prom Across America” survey that teens will spent an average of more than $600 on everything that the prom entails (i.e. hair and makeup, an outfit, tickets, etc). This all goes for one night of “fun.”

While it may be meaningful for some, many others attend simply out of social pressure: a trend in American history that goes back for as long as many can remember. The money that would be spent on prom can be saved for other alternatives. For those who feel pressured into going, they have no need to go. It is one small moment in a lifetime. Rather than spending the money for a single night, one can use it for other things that might be more significant. It’s better to go to something more enjoyable than attend an event just for the sake of lack of enjoyment.

Some may enjoy the ability of dressing up and dancing the night away. However, it is not something for everyone.