Emerson to host Relay For Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emerson to host Relay For Life

Josue Vargas, Reporter

Get ready for the Relay for Life, a walk that is hosted by the American Cancer Society. The goal is to raise awareness and money by bringing  communities together to remember people who were lost to cancer, to support people who are battling it and to honor those who survived cancer. Money that is raised goes beyond just supporting research. It is also used for preventive care and helps fund the Hope House, which provides free lodging and food to families and patients. It is located near Sloan Kettering Hospital where so many patients go to receive treatment. 

This year the event takes place place on Saturday, April 28, from noon to midnight and is being hosted by Emerson Junior Senior High School for the first time.

“We are very excited to have our inaugural year to host; Emerson is bringing a lot of spirit to the event,” stated Ms. Rehak, the coordinator for the event. “The fundraising goal for each student on the team is $100 and if our goal is reached Emerson will have raised $15,000.”  This would be double the amount they raised last year.

Each team should have someone on the track at all times but there will be plenty of other activities going on for both children and adults. From noon until about 5 o’clock there will be activities focusing on children-themed movies, in addition to carnival booths, face-painting, hair extensions and a bouncy house. As the evening goes on there will  be a DJ to keep the crowd’s energy up.  

This year the evening will end with the luminary ceremony. It’s a lap where everyone is quiet and somber and is lined with the bags that people have purchased.

“Before we walk around, you get a glow stick and they say, ‘Crack a glow stick if you have a mother that has battled cancer,’ and people crack and raise it. ‘Crack if you have a father or a grandmother or a grandfather, or an aunt or an uncle,’ and little by little everyone’s lights are lighting up. It symbolizes how many lives are touched by cancer,” said Ms. Rehak.