• March 24Volleyball Tournament April 23rd - Get ready!

• March 7Dodgeball Tournament 3/29 - Get your team together!

• February 7What is your favorite video game? Take the poll below.

• February 7Buy a Krispy Kreme donut to benefit the Robotics team! See a member.

• January 25Volleyball Tournament coming soon! Stay tuned for details

• November 19The Cavalier is mobile! Download the app now.

The Cavalier

The Last Jedi Review

Can this new trilogy live up to its high expectations or will it disappoint?

Star Wars, Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, written and directed by Rian Johnson, is part two in the third trilogy of the popular Star Wars series. Beloved by many, this sequel picks up right at the beginning where the last movie had left off, with the iconic scene between Luke and Rey. Yet there is a great divide between the professional critics’ opinions of the movie and those of fans.

The line was around the corner to see this highly anticipated movie, which was released December 15th, 2017. A change from the past movies, this Star Wars film was not directed by a familiar face like George Lucas or J.J. Abrams, but by Rian Johnson who was excited to direct his first Star Wars movies. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and many more iconic and newly introduced Star Wars actors were reunited back on the big screen after the huge success of the last movie, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which has the #1 highest grossing opening of all time, followed by The Last Jedi trailing at the #2.

The synopsis of Star Wars: The Last Jedi was released with the following statements, “Luke Skywalker’s peaceful and solitary existence gets upended when he encounters Rey, a young woman who shows strong signs of the Force. Her desire to learn the ways of the Jedi forces Luke to make a decision that changes their lives forever. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren and General Hux lead the First Order in an all-out assault against Leia and the Resistance for supremacy of the galaxy.” The hype and promotions surrounding this movie was out of this world, but did The Last Jedi truly satisfy their dedicated fans?

“Something different” is a phrase I would use to describe this film. It can be seen as more of a light hearted movie in comparison to the previous movies. This might be because of Disney recent ownership of the Star Wars series, but this does not take away from its overall effect. Some scenes of the movie I felt were unnecessary and were just plot fillers as the movie ended with still many questions unanswered, from The Force Awakens, that many fans were anticipating to be answered in this movie. With the movie being an unnecessarily long two hours and thirty-five minutes, the longest run time of any Star Wars films, fans expected many questions to be answered but sadly many fans were left in the dark.

But with all this negativity comes positivity as well, such as the brilliant acting of the Star Wars cast. The battle scenes and cinematography were so complex and beautifully filmed and edited. Overall, the squeal was a movie I felt had much potential to do much more than was presented.

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

Seasoned veterans and fresh new faces in this year’s play, “Sister Act”

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

Stan Lee passes away at age 95! World mourns!

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

Marvel’s real-life superhero

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

The full band experience with Molli Gordon

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

Time to get PALOOZED at the 2nd annual CavoPALOOZA!

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

The Office: Making A Comeback Years Later

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

2018 Billboard Music Awards: Out with the Old in with the New

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

HQ Trivia, giving Cavos so many chances to win

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

“This Is America” – a representation of modern America?

• The Last Jedi Review

Arts and Entertainment

Jo Wilson says, “Me too” in the season 14 return of Grey’s Anatomy: “1-800-799-7233”

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School
The Last Jedi Review