• October 15EHS Varsity Competition Cheer tryouts Wednesday, October 17

• October 15Join Academic Decathalon! See Ms. Nakis or Ms. Buchta

• October 15Violence Awareness Week October 15-19

• October 11Our Official Twitter Page @EmersonJSHS

• October 10What are you dressing up as for Halloween? Take the poll below!

• October 10Yearbook picture retakes: 11/2

• October 87th and 8th Grade Boys Basketball Interest Meeting 10/23

The Cavalier

It’s Not Over

Senior year is coming to a close, but your relationships should not.

Photo courtesy KGNC

Photo courtesy KGNC

Kathryn Cambrea, Editor in chief

Senior year is a year full of lasts. The last time you will be in high school. The last time you will see your teachers. The last time you and your friends will all be together.

Does it have to be that way, though? Not necessarily. Some moments only end if you let them. That is one concept that I learned this year. You may miss multiple people, and the reality that graduation is nearing only increases feelings of nostalgia further. Think of it this way: If you are emotional thinking about the chance that you might not see some of the people who you grew up with again, perhaps these people feel the same way. Whether they are friends, family, teachers, or fellow classmates, you would not be who you are today without them. Likewise, they wouldn’t be themselves without you.

With senior year comes an extensive checklist of criteria that will prepare me for the next stages of my life. Get involved. Check. Think of a potential career. Check. Find a college. Check. Apply for scholarships. Check.

There is nothing wrong with planning ahead and completing all of your work. In fact, that is great. However, do not forget what is most important.  

You leave a footprint wherever you go; your impact will never expire. You are valued in the hearts of many. When you walk out of the doors on your graduation day, that doesn’t have to be the last time you do so. That doesn’t have to be the last time you will see your teachers. And that surely doesn’t have to be the last time you and your friends will all be together.

If there were teachers who you sincerely loved in high school, make the effort to reach out to them. Make plans to converse over lunch. This small action rings with more appreciation than words ever could.

And don’t stop spending time with your friends. Use the summer as an opportunity to see everyone before the transition from high school to college. Exchange contact information so factors, like geographical distance, could never destroy your communication.

Graduation seemed so far off for such a long time. I never knew that it would come this quickly. I anticipate that I will be at a loss of words when it arrives. I anticipate that tears will come to my eyes. I anticipate that I will feel a surge of emotions.

Most of all, I do not know exactly what comes next. Maybe, that is the beauty of it all. I know where I will be going to school. I know where I will be working over the summer. My internship even offered me a paid job. But, what is there left to do? Remember the relationships I have with people and what I mean to those people. And what they mean to me.

I may be leaving the school, but it should not end like that. It could, quite easily, but I will not let it.

About the Writer
Kathryn Cambrea, Editor in chief

Kathryn Cambrea is a senior at Emerson Junior-Senior High School and is the editor in chief of The Cavalier. She has had a passion for reading and writing since she was little. Kathryn was a runner-up in a playwright competition when she was in only sixth grade, and she competed against high school students. She would love to pursue a career in journalism in the future. She is involved in the ECTV and The Cavalier clubs as well as the creative writing magazine, The Apocalypse. Kathryn is also a member of Academic Decathlon in which she received a few awards including “Most Valuable Player.”

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Student activism continues breaking new grounds

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

The Electoral College is an outdated form of voting

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Net Neutrality is a valuable asset that is going to be missed by many

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Privacy is no longer something internet companies seem to care about

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Internet filtration: protective barrier or too much shelter?

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Standardized testing promotes stress with no indication of learning

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Prom is not as important as the status quo makes it

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Free college tuition may be a greater incentive for students

• It’s Not Over

Features

National School Walkout: the catalyst for change

• It’s Not Over

Opinions

Political alignment is more than just political tension

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School
It’s Not Over