• October 15EHS Varsity Competition Cheer tryouts Wednesday, October 17

• October 15Join Academic Decathalon! See Ms. Nakis or Ms. Buchta

• October 15Violence Awareness Week October 15-19

• October 11Our Official Twitter Page @EmersonJSHS

• October 10What are you dressing up as for Halloween? Take the poll below!

• October 10Yearbook picture retakes: 11/2

• October 87th and 8th Grade Boys Basketball Interest Meeting 10/23

The Cavalier

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol.2: Changing the game for movie sequels?

Aesha Falcon

Can a sequel be better than the original?

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2, written and directed by James Gunn, continues to follow the journey of Star-Lord, also known as Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and baby Groot as they continue to protect the galaxy from any dangers. The Guardians must be able to fight to keep their family together as more and more mysteries of Peter Quill’s parentage is revealed.

The Marvel fan favorite was brought back to life for a sequel in April 19, 2017. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and Bradley Cooper were once again reunited on theater screens to bring smiles across the faces of their loyal fans from the big success with their first movie. The sequel to the Guardians of the Galaxy is hilarious, exciting, and well produced. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 is movie that lives up to expectations and is worth watching.

A change from the first movie, Peter Quill finally reunites with a man claims to be his father, Ego. As in the first movie, the movie had revolved itself around the fact that Quill did not know who is father was. As Peter Quill progresses to learn more about his past, the Guardians continue to battle enemies old and new, some enemies even becoming new alliances. Quill and the rest of the Guardian were hired by the Sovereign, a powerful alien race, to protect their valuable batteries from any invaders or intruders, in exchange for Nebula. Though shortly after, the Sovereign attacks the Guardians as one of the members steals the batteries for himself. As they try to escape, their ship is destroyed and the Guardians crash on a nearby planet, where Peter Quill will then meet his father. While still stranded on the planet, the Guardians are being hunted for by individuals hired by the Sovereign. On the other hand, as Quill reconnects with his father, he learns how to manipulate Celestial power just as his father has been able to do. Throughout the film, Quill’s father, Ego’s true colors begin to appear which entitles the Guardians to then fight for their lives and the lives of many others. Quill and the Guardians must live up to their title and protect the galaxy from yet another unstoppable force.

“Funny yet intriguing” seems to be the popular phrase in how to describe the movie of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2. Unlike the first film of how all the Guardians met and teamed up, Volume 2 finally shows a final and clean cut perception of the Marvel team. But also this time around, the movie includes how Peter Quill, the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy, got to be who he is within the film. Many of Marvel’s films are praised for their jokes and humor. Throughout this movie, many smiles and heartfelt laughter from the audience can be heard as one liners and iconic funny moments were displayed by the actors. With the loss of, fan favorite, Groot, came the birth of adorable yet hilarious baby Groot in which he provided much comedy relief, although many characters within this movie had contributed to much of the laughter of the moviegoers.

This film is highly known, not only for its humor but for its well acclaimed soundtrack. Throughout many influential scenes, many throwback hits can be heard such as Sweet’s “Fox on the Run”, “Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra, George Harrison’s ” My Sweet Lord”, “Father and Son” by Cat Stevens, and many more. James Gunn had picked songs that not only appealed to the audience but also supported the scenes in which he directed.

This film has lived up to its expectations as it is a sequel to the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie yet the question still upholds, “Can a sequel be better than the first?” Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a movie worth watching as it takes all of it viewers on a journey full of action, laughter, and heartfelt emotion.

“Does Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 live up to the first movie or does it out shine it fully?”

• Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol.2: Changing the game for movie sequels?

Arts and Entertainment

2018 Billboard Music Awards: Out with the Old in with the New

Arts and Entertainment

“This Is America” – a representation of modern America?

Pop Culture

YouTube: Creating a New Culture Among the Youth

Arts and Entertainment

Netflix: Changing the History of TV?

Arts and Entertainment

Lucas the Spider: an animated hope?

Arts and Entertainment

2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards: The Biggest Names in Music Right Now

Arts and Entertainment

The Oscars 2018: A Night to Remember

Arts and Entertainment

‘9 to 5: The Musical’ serves as emblem of the courage and power of women

Arts and Entertainment

Black Panther: The film that is changing the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Arts and Entertainment

EHS Key Club’s Second Annual Trivia Night: a terrific time and a rising trend!

The student news site of Emerson Junior - Senior High School